*

*

*

JOIN Skattie, what are you wearing?'s FACEBOOK FRIENDS

Monday, March 3, 2014

A FVCKOFF GLAMOROUS SATURDAY AT THE VEUVE CLICQUOT POLO MASTERS


Here’s the thing, like a lot of other fags that grew up around the same time as me, I was an avid reader of the late Gwen Gill’s society column in the Sunday Times, she had a fabulously brilliant and witty style in the way she covered events. That column that made me fall in love with the “socialite”. Even as a kid socialites really fascinated me, i thought it such a strange thing to be known for, and such a strange title to come before a name, especially as i didn't know what else they did for a living. I wondered, what does it mean? Do they just go from party to party? Remember back in the day when Edith Venter was always referred to simply as 'socialite Edith Venter'?

Then there's my other more current fascination, the social dance. It starts off slowly as guests stream in, awkwardly trying to find their place in the room, looking for familiar faces, pretending not to see some faces, then 1, 2, 3 drinks and movement becomes more fluid, as they roll from one set of arms into another, cheeks touching ever so lightly whilst making pouty kissing sounds. Later on they may indulge in a bit of shoulder surfing, a very popular part of the dance, where one is constantly looking over the shoulder of the person they are talking to, in search of the next, and possibly better conversation. You just gotta love the dance.

Anyway, before I start rambling on an on, I mention all this because Saturday was just so awesome and was the kind event that reminded me why I love this shit so much. It just hit all the right notes, I loved most of the fashion, the mix of socialites, designers, media types, and along with a sprinkling of celebs, it worked perfectly. As far as the celebs were concerned, thank god it was just a sprinkling. In my experience, too many of those and style goes down the drain. 

I suppose it also helps that we spent the entire day at the Veuve Clicquot VIP Lounge where the Veuve flowed all day, seriously, you'd have to be the most bitter betty to be miserable under those conditions. Congratulations to the organizers for a muthafucking awesome event, and I thank all you Cape Town socialites, for a most fucking amazing dance. Let's do this again real soon



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails